Professional translation and interpreter services for French-English and English-French
Undoubtedly one of the most influential languages on the planet, French is spoken on every continent and is a powerful player in the fields of diplomacy, law, academia, journalism and humanitarianism.
With fast, accurate, on-demand French translation services, thebigword is a trusted partner of thousands of global companies and organizations, requiring quick turnaround on a huge range of French to English and English to French texts.
- 24/7 availability
- Order status tracking
- Immediate project launch
- Experienced, certified translators
Thanks to 30+ years of translation and localization experience – and thousands of certified linguists worldwide – our expert teams will swiftly deliver word-perfect translations, tailored to your deadlines.
- Spoken by 275 million people worldwide, French is a member of the Indo-European language family and one of the five major Romance languages, which evolved from Vulgar Latin (the colloquial speak of classical times).
- The mother tongue of 56 million French natives, it’s also an official language of 29 countries including: Belgium, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Canada, Haiti, Ivory Coast, Luxembourg, Madagascar, Monaco, Seychelles and Switzerland.
- The US states of Louisiana and Maine list French as the second most spoken language after English.
- Among its many accolades, French is a working language of the United Nations, the European Union and dozens of global organizations, such as the International Red Cross.
- Due to population growth in French-speaking parts of Africa, Forbes magazine (in a 2014 article) predicted it could be ‘the language of the future’.
- The French lexicon contains more than a million words, with about 20,000 new entries every year.
- It is the second most popular foreign language to learn (after English).
- In written French, accented letters began to appear in the 1500s, with the arrival of the first printing presses. Word counts were reduced by eliminating superfluous consonants and using accents instead, e.g. eschelle (meaning ladder) became échelle.
- Due to the Norman Conquest in 1066, more than a third of modern English words are of French origin.
French translation facts
- The French language has more than 20 official dialects, including Canadian, Haitian and Vietnamese French, plus countless regional quirks and variations.
- Levels of formality are very important. The language has six registers of formality – with literary/refined French at the top and French slang (considered vulgar, offensive and insulting) at the bottom. Trickiest to navigate are, of course, the middle registers. Is your communication too formal? Or too familiar? Our certified professional translators can help you strike just the right tone.
- High letter-to-sound ratios make French a much wordier language than English. The snappy Buy now!, for instance, requires the six-syllable Acheter maintenant! in French.
- Predicting the spellings of French words, based on sounds, is challenging. Final consonants are usually silent, except when the following word starts with a vowel, and plural nouns are generally pronounced the same as singular ones.
- And certain to induce a mal de tête (or headache), are gendered nouns, verb conjugation, accented vowels and pronunciation of nasal sounds.
- The French language also employs a great number of homophones (soundalike words with different spellings/meanings). A highly-skilled translator can, of course, navigate this particular minefield with ease.
French translation and interpretation services
For professional, high-speed French translation, companies look no further than thebigword. Our skilled and experienced native speakers are available 24/7 for all your French-English and English-French translation needs.
Successfully handling up to 50,000 global assignments every day, thebigword has invested heavily in innovative language technology and expert operational teams to ensure high quality outcomes, on time, every time.
With access to 15,000+ talented linguists worldwide, you can expect the perfect, native speaker to meet your specific business requirements. Our translators work around the clock to ensure all your deadlines are met.
With no upfront fees/contracts, simply choose the pricing model to best suit your project needs.
Through our vast experience as an French Language Services Provider we’ve gained unrivalled knowledge of translating and localizing public-facing content, including websites, software and training materials. You can always trust us to ensure your messages hit the target.
French global marketing
French software and app localization
French enterprise translation
French multimedia services
French e-learning localization
French legal translation
French website localization
French crowd sourced translation (CST)
French machine translation
FRENCH TRANSLATORS AND INTERPRETERS
Qualified French language professionals
Contact us today to find an French translator or interpreter for your business needs. We deliver on time, every time, with linguists ready to assist you with: